|Encyclopaedia Britannica 11th Edition||Public Domain via Project Gutenberg|
a seaport town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Schleswig-Holstein, on the N. bank of the Elbe, 60 m. N.W. from Hamburg. Pop. (1905) 2500. Brunsbüttel is the west terminus of the Kaiser Wilhelm Canal, which is closed there by double locks. Here also are an inner harbour, 1640 ft. long and 656 ft. wide, a coaling station, and a small harbour for the tugs and other vessels belonging to the canal company.